recession

housing bubble

banking crisis

housing crash

economic decline

global downturn

credit crunch

sub prime

financial meltdown

unemployment

inflation

Saturday, June 28, 2008

fundamental financial deficiency

can tell the minute I drive into Toronto. My car starts rattling and banging resulting from the incredibly poor shape of the roads upon which I must drive. I think the state of our infrastructure exemplifies a fundamental financial deficiency of the city. It has an inability to maintain a sound infrastructure. I have lived in or around this city all my life and have never noticed this before. So I might have to agree that, yes indeed times are tough.

I completely disagree. I moved to the Queen and Dufferin area 10 years ago and still live nearby. In those 10 years, the neighbourhod has become one of the best parts of the country in my opinion. I raise a 5 year old here and couldn't imagine raising her anywhere else. Take Trinity Bellwoods Park, as an example. When I moved to the city, the park was a place to be avoided, nobody went there unless it was to drink or conduct nefarious business. Now, on a Friday night, it's filled with people having picnics, kids running around, people throwing Frisbees, walking dogs and generally being very neighbourly. I'm sure people in other parts of the city haven't had the same experience but in my opinion, Toronto keeps becoming a better place to live.